Re: [RC] Maybe shorter is better ;) - rides2far

Short height doesn't necessarily mean short stride. My 14'2" horse
has a > plenty long stride which I love since it has no suspension.

Kaboot felt like a pony when I first got him. Did not have a long stride.
I would never let him break into a canter (probably a mistake on my part,
should have developed one early) so he was sort of like those little kids
that the teacher yell's "WALK" to as they're headed for the lunchroom
trying to be first in line. They develop this weird lunging gait with a
big push that's still "technically" a walk. >g< Kaboot wanted to go
faster but knew I was making him trot so it got bigger and bigger through
the years until he could trot with pretty much any horse I ever rode down
the trail with. He had LOTS of suspension though and I had to post high.

Ben, on the other hand takes the quick steps but is just as fast.  Weedy
is 14.1 *at best* so it will be interesting to see what I get with him. I
have every intention of teaching him to canter and switch leads early on
though and be a little less dependent on the trot *at all times*.  Kaboot
could canter some during rides but if he was at all fresh it was just a
transition faze between trot and an all out run-away.

One reason I bought such a short horse this time was that he was such a
nice little horse and there weren't many people who *could or would* ride
one that small. I figure that at 5' tall it's sort of my responsibility
not to hog the few tall Arabs there are out there.

Angie