RE: [RC] [RC] heavyweights and led horses. - Nancy Mitts

Since we just finished going on and on forever about those "horse excellence" vs AERC BC awards I'll probably hate myself for replying.
If it's not the AERC BC, AERC has no say in the awards criteria. If you don't like it, take it up with ride management, it's their rules. If you want to know what everyone (interested) else on the list thinks, check the recent archives for LD BC.
Leading horses is a newer topic. I don't think the AERC rules address it one way or another that I can remember. Since it's legal for anyone to dismount and do the whole ride on foot if they wish, I don't see what difference eliminating children or any person being led on their horse from BC or "horse of excellence" would accomplish.
Nancy Mitts

Subject: [RC]   heavyweights  and led horses.
Please Reply to: concerned eagle2@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
in Ld all ridrs are judged the same for "Horse of excellence" and it does not seem fair that a 5or 6 yr old kid who was led the whole on a horse should get the horse of excellence over the heavyweight rider whose horse had to work to finish and still was great shape. i think there need to be some changes in both categories.
As for leading a horse with a rider, that should not be allowed. Period. if the rider is not competent to ride his own ride or the horse so un-broke that it cannot be ridden on its own then both should go home and get more riding and training.