Re: [RC] [RC] heavyweights and led horses. - Truman Prevatt

Nancy Mitts wrote:

Since we just finished going on and on forever about those "horse excellence" vs AERC BC awards I'll probably hate myself for replying.
If it's not the AERC BC, AERC has no say in the awards criteria. If you don't like it, take it up with ride management, it's their rules. If you want to know what everyone (interested) else on the list thinks, check the recent archives for LD BC.
Leading horses is a newer topic. I don't think the AERC rules address it one way or another that I can remember. Since it's legal for anyone to dismount and do the whole ride on foot if they wish, I don't see what difference eliminating children or any person being led on their horse from BC or "horse of excellence" would accomplish.
Nancy Mitts

From the rules "...but the competitor is ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride."

The definition of responsible is: "Liable to be required to give account, as of one's actions or of the discharge of a duty or trust."

Is a person that has to be lead through the course "responsible" for the horse in his/her trust during the ride? I sure don't see it.

I suspect that if I were at a ride where a rider was ponied for the ride, I would file a protest as a matter of course so the AERC would have to address the issue.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein