Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] Weight Division Offshoot (long) - Truman Prevatt

Don Huston wrote:

Truman wrote: "Where did you get those numbers?"

Can you help me out here? I think I gave myself a headache....

Don,

You got to start somewhere. This is probably a decent first approximation to start with. There are many factors other that need to be considered. A horse at a ride doesn't go on a smooth flat surface. The footing may be uneven and it takes energy to keep a load balanced in this type of footing. The heavier the load - the more energy. This formula our refer to basically uses only kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is given by E=.5mv^2. The energy output is directly proportional to the mass and directly proportional to the square of the speed. This is why your numbers show what they do. However, when you go up hill - the potential energy associated with the change in height has to be accounted for. This potential energy is directly proportional to the mass and independent of the velocity. In a trot or canter, the horse actually lifts the weight. Image jogging down the trail with a bar bell and doing a curl on every stride. That is what a horse is doing on every suspension phase of his stride. Therefore on every stride - the horse must overcome the potential energy with raising that load. I am sure some are going to say that it is only every other stride of the trot because of a posting rider. However on the rising phase the horse is actually accelerating the rider so he can drop down easily on the horses back. This additional acceleration accounts for the energy required for the second phase of the post. The bigger the load the more energy. The course and gait will change the dynamics of the energy equation.

I've looked at this a few times in the past when the tiny hinies start bellyaching about how unfair the weight divisions are ;-) . Energy is not the only factor that has to be considered from a purely physical viewpoint. One also must consider the work done. It can get somewhat complicated and there are isn't a closed from solution. The only thing one can really say is the additional energy required for a horse to carry two different loads is directly proportional to the difference in the mass of the loads. Of course that again is very simplistic because it doesn't take into account effects of maintaining balance on uneven terrain, soft terrain, etc. However, it does take into account such things as the suspension phase of the stride, climbing hills, etc.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein