Re: [RC] [RC] Causes of Suspensory Injuries - Karla Watson

But then were you able to stop getting suspensory injuries when you changed that? Its funny cause I've been trying to get a bigger trot out of my younger horse. He does prefer his canter/lope to a bigger trot and his heart rate does go down in the canter.
-------Karla Watson

In my experiences, absolutely!  I have ridden 4 Arabs that all developed
injured suspensories.  I began to wonder why...all were my horses, so I
wondered what I was doing wrong.  I came to realize that because I loved a
very fast extended trot, I encouraged that in all these horses.  Common
denominator, hyper-extension.  I stopped riding that way and stopped looking
for horses with a big trot.  A very painful lesson......those were all very
good horses, and I ruined them by my ignorance.  But at least I learned.....

Barbara