Re: [RC] [RC] Causes of Suspensory Injuries - Barbara McCrary

I've ridden only a couple of horses since the last one that injured his suspensory, so I don't feel that's a good enough test.  But I would say, yes.  Neither of my two succeeding horses have a huge trot, or at least I don't encourage it, so no more injuries.  As for your horse, if he is more efficient at a canter than a bigger trot, I would be inclined to use that efficiency.  My husband had one horse that was far more efficient at the canter than at the trot, and he cantered the last 25 miles of a relatively flat 50-miler in fine style.  I think he had another one that was similar, but I couldn't keep up with him, so I really don't know the pace he set and at what gait.  :-))

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Causes of Suspensory Injuries

But then were you able to stop getting suspensory injuries when you changed that? Its funny cause I've been trying to get a bigger trot out of my younger horse. He does prefer his canter/lope to a bigger trot and his heart rate does go down in the canter.
-------Karla Watson

In my experiences, absolutely!  I have ridden 4 Arabs that all developed
injured suspensories.  I began to wonder why...all were my horses, so I
wondered what I was doing wrong.  I came to realize that because I loved a
very fast extended trot, I encouraged that in all these horses.  Common
denominator, hyper-extension.  I stopped riding that way and stopped looking
for horses with a big trot.  A very painful lesson......those were all very
good horses, and I ruined them by my ignorance.  But at least I learned.....

Barbara