Re: [RC] guns - Truman Prevatt

Joe Long wrote:

I pretty much agree with everything Truman posted here, but I'll add a couple of
observations.

One, that statistic about being more likely to be injured by our own gun
includes everyone who carries.  If it only included those who have proper
training and carry sufficient stopping power, I suspect it would be quite
different.

Two, I rarely carry my own handguns. I just don't feel a need for it. I have a
shotgun for home defense, should that ever be necessary -- much, Much, MUCH
better than any handgun. The advice I offer here is for those who wish to carry
-- and I can certainly see how a woman who rides alone would want the comfort of
knowing she had the means to defend herself if necessary.

Yes my over/under is always loaded where I can get it. No one will walk away from that. I think the massage is if you carry a gun be trained to use it and be willing to use it without hesitation. One hesitation in using it and you have lost the advantage of having it. However, most people will have a hesitation in using it. A criminal will not hesitate using whatever he can to gain the advantage.

When I travel I throw both my shotgun and hand gun in my horse trailer. I have no hesitation in using either. As far as cal, I think the smallest you can go that will make much a difference is a 357. A 357 revolver is not that much for a woman to handle. However, it requires some work at the range because it does have a kick. As far as "snake shot" in a hand gun - might as well use a BB gun.

But in the woods, I will trust my horse's instincts any day.

Truman

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein