[RC] guns - long personal story - RHONDA LEVINSON

Just my two cents, having a gun saved my life. My dad was in the Navy and the Army and had been a sharpshooter and a marksman in each, respectively. He had taught me to shoot and I shoot as well as he does (brag, brag, I know).

When I was in college, I was being stalked by a guy. This was prior to the anti-stalking laws. The guy broke into my apartment one night while I was there. I was sleeping and he chiseled (quietly) through the wood in the door frame, and used a crow bar to pull back the dead bolt. I heard the squeak and walked half-asleep into the living room, saw the door ajar, thought my roommate had left it open, closed it, put the chain on and went back to bed. Sheer dumb luck on my part, the guy hadn't come into the apartment yet.

In the morning, I saw the wood chips, called the police. They said they couldn't go arrest the guy because I had no proof it was him despite following me to work and his constant phone calls in which he could even tell me what time I had gone to bed, gotten up and who had been to my apartment.

So, my dad and went shopping for a gun. I got a 22 so that the bullets wouldn't penetrate the apartment walls (hopefully), and loaded it with hollow points for a little more stopping power. A couple of weeks later, I woke up and there was someone on my balcony -- I could see his shadow through the curtain. I went and sat across the room, in front of door and cocked the pistol (the sliding type, cha cha noise). The guy froze and whispered, "Is anyone there?" I said, "Yep, I'm here and I'm sick of this. I'm waiting for you to come in so I can shoot you." Guy jumps off the balcony and I never hear from him again.

Several months later, I saw the guy on the news for kidnapping and killing two other women in the area.

So, guns aren't such a bad thing and mine certainly saved my life.

Rhonda