Re: [RC] guns - Joe Long

I pretty much agree with everything Truman posted here, but I'll add a couple of
observations.

One, that statistic about being more likely to be injured by our own gun
includes everyone who carries.  If it only included those who have proper
training and carry sufficient stopping power, I suspect it would be quite
different.

Two, I rarely carry my own handguns.  I just don't feel a need for it.  I have a
shotgun for home defense, should that ever be necessary -- much, Much, MUCH
better than any handgun.  The advice I offer here is for those who wish to carry
-- and I can certainly see how a woman who rides alone would want the comfort of
knowing she had the means to defend herself if necessary.

It might be a good idea to carry one in the cantlebag when riding in remote
areas, as someone else pointed out, in case the horse breaks a leg.  But in some
20,000 miles of riding over 40 years I've never had that happen or been with
anyone who had it happen, so it's a pretty low probability.  BTW, if you have to
put a horse down, a small-caliber pistol will NOT do the job reliably!!!!  You
are likely to just add to his suffering.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:04:32 -0500, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>