Re: [RC] Lady's Gun - Julie Fuller

I agree with Joe in that if you're going to carry a gun, you should have a caliber that is larger than .22 or .32. I carried a .25 auto for awhile (after falling on my .357 OUCH!) but learned a valuable lesson on "stopping power" when I had an incident with a large wolf-dog. That worthless little .25 got traded for ammo, and I went back to the .357. I now carry a 9mm revolver.

I have carried for years, and my main reason is that I have always done alot of road riding. I never wanted to be in the position of having a horse get hit by a car and break a leg, and have no way toput the horse down. That would be nightmare. I first packed a .30.30 in a scabbard, then got my .357 for graduation, and have carried a large pistol ever since.

I tried the fanny pack holsters, but found they bounced too much. I tried a shoulder holster, but my .357 was just too big. (Or I'm too small*grin*) and I had a hell of a time with bounce too. Went back to the hip holster with the thigh strap, and that worked fine (did that so much, I wore a hole in the liining of my Aussie coat) But I really like my 9mm. It will fit in any set up, it's stainless, so I don't have to worry about weather and constant cleaning. It's got plenty of knock down power, looks intimidating and it's fun to shoot.

I do all my own reloading and practice alot. I'm lucky in that we can shoot right here on the place. Our horses all are accustomed to the noise. In the past, I would ride out somewhere, tie everyone up, and target practice standing near the horses. My kids both shoot too, as do many of my friends, so we had alot of fun on our trail rides. Trail rides are opportunities to practice all sorts of survival stuff!

In the 30+ years I've been riding I've never had to put down a horse, or use my weapon in any way, and I'm grateful for that. But I look at carrying a weapon like riding with spurs.... they aren't an inconvenience to have around, but if you need them, it's sure nice to have them!

Julie