[RC] Newbie Questions - rides2far

Hi Dana,

You sound like a great addition to the sport. Yes, you may proceed on
foot. You are even allowed to jog...and if you're fast enough you can
pass the rest of us *while* on foot...it's been done  :-))

As to walking you through a ride day. Here's what I tell my recruits.

Friday. Show up by noon. Set up horse's picket line, corral, or whatever
(you choice...ain't this fun?) Get him water & hay, then set up camp.

By 2:00 or so go enter and find out where the vet in will be and what
time it will start.  I like to go set up my vet check next. Get a decent
space before they're all gone. (most of our checks are in camp here).
Rather than rush up at 3:00 to stand in a long line to vet in, I prefer
to wait around and let him get over the trip, then saddle up and go out
for a little loosening up ride (I always have to adjust stirrups shorter
at this time to allow for turbo "I'm at a ride" trot)

5:00 or so when the line is down I'll go vet in. Horse is less dehydrated
than if I'd rushed right up at 3:00 and there's seldom any line at all.

Rather than get fed at 5 PM like he does at home, I dip out his allotted
amount of feed and just toss him a handfull or two every time I go by to
spread it out through the evening.

SATURDAY:

The longest distance starts first, so if there's a 50 it'll probably
start at the first round "number" after daylight. If that's 7 AM the 25's
probably start at 7:30 or 8:00. I make a point of feeding him 2 hrs.
before I begin to warm him up (30 min. before start)  You have 6 hrs from
the start time to finish. Hold times do not have an effect on the cut off
time, it's 6 hrs from the start time.

Now...I'd say my biggest concern would be your 10 year old daughter. Been
there done that. I'd stay well away from the mass starts if your horses
have never seen such.

Since horses tend to hit a big trot *immediately* at our rides, you might
want to spend more time warming up. I spend a full 30 min. warming
up...15 at a walk and 15 mixed walk/trot.

The "racers" tend to take off first.  The "middies" (middle of the pack,
steady eddies" are next...but often at the far back are people with
beginner horses or problem horses and they're trying to avoid turmoil. I
try to avoid getting back there with them so I like to drop in just
behind the steady eddies when my daughter's with me.

The NATRC riders I know are used to having to use their maps. Most
endurance rides are marked plenty well enough to never take your map out
unless you just want to figure out where on the loop you are. I think
you'll like the atmosphere in endurance. Most of us aren't exactly
competing against each other...just against the trail so everybody's very
eager to help each other out. Most of the people I have thought of as
rude usually just turned out to not *know* what they did was wrong and
were perfectly willing to wait for you at water or whatever if you asked
(most experience riders would do so without being asked). Since a 25 is
our entry level you may run into some people with less experience than
you have in group competitions so don't assume it's an "endurance thing"
if they slip up. It may be that they simply haven't been in the sport
long and didn't know better.

I think the main thing that the NATRC people who did P&R's at our ride
were shocked at was that we were bringing the horses to the P&R at 64
bpm. They were so used to trying to bring a horse in at 40 or so that
they didn't understand that pulsing in at 64 was OK.  (LD must be 60 at
the finish) You really don't have to bring a horse in from the trail at
40.  The NATRC people also weren't used to having crews during the ride
with sponges, they stood around with little cardboard fans. Enjoy that
bit of freedom. Drag the husband out, give him a roadmap and and 100
gallons of water and if it's a hot day he can become your hero by meeting
you at road crossing with water...it's great for a marriage. (and a great
way to become popular other competitors if you're generous)  If you need
something at the vet check. Yell. Somebody will have it and offer it,
whether it's duct tape, vasoline, or a broken stirrup. We're all just
trying to make it through.

Finally, when you finish and your horse pulses down and gets his
completion...you'll already *know* where you placed. No judges opinions
to worry about. :-) Go turn him loose in his pen to roll or sunbathe or
anything else he chooses. If he'd rather roll in sand and be dirty than
have a complete bath on a cold day you can leave him that way. Nobody to
count off points. :-)

End of day, there's often a dinner, then awards. All completers must get
some award whether it's a t-shirt or a hoof pick. There are almost always
plenty of junior awards. After it's over, wander up to the campfire that
has the most laughter coming from it. Stay late. We're glad you're here.
:-)

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA