[RC] How cold is too cold? - Willowmere Farm Arabians

Hi, everyone :)

I have a question regarding riding in the cold. Please keep in mind this is in
concern for my horse, not for me. (I take much better care of my animals than I
do myself!) :-)

With the recent cold front we've had in "balmy" Colorado, my riding has
consisted of riding my horses bareback with a hackamore. (Which in itself has
been an interesting project.... )  Sunday we are rumored to have a high of 15
degrees and I'm scheduled to ride in a dressage clinic with 2 horses that
morning, my first ride being at 8 AM, and next at 9:40 AM. It will be held in
an indoor arena, however I'm not sure if it will be heated or not. The horses
that I will be taking both live outdoors with a shelter, year round. One was
body clipped back in September/October, and has now grown most of her coat back
in. She wears blankies obviously, but is getting a good coat again nonetheless.
The gelding has a big coat and no body clipping.  Due to the fact that we've
not been riding a lot, neither of my horses are in great condition. Up until
about a month ago, both had been getting worked consistently.

I doubt that we'll reach our high of 15 degrees by 8AM (but it has happened to
have the high in the early part of the day), and I'm wondering if it will be
too cold for the horses to be worked in a "real" workout? I hate the idea of
freezing myself, but I can handle that part as long as it is okay for the
horses to do a lot in the cold.

Can anybody offer any advice?  I do have coolers and blankets, towels, etc, but
if it is going to put their health in jeopardy, I'd just rather not go to the
clinic to ride.  Ideas?

TIA!
Shawnee

Shawnee & Dave Urano