[RC] Trailer ramp problems-help needed - Susan & Jerry Milam

There is so much expertise on this list, I just know someone out there has info on this.

I have a 95' Kiefer Built Golden Eagle 3HS and have had to replace the wood inside the loading ramp due to moisure/rotting issues. The friend who did the replacement put in tongue and groove wood which is 1.5 in thick and makes the ramp very heavy. I can do it by myself but 2 is easier. It's shouldn't be this hard to lower and raise my ramp.

 Another problem these early Kiefers had in their ramp system is the 4 springs that are designed to help with the raising and lowering of the ramp; they pop out of their restarint/torque position  occasionally and the whole ramp has to be unhinged, springs removed/replaced, rod rethreaded to connect the ramp again.

I was thinking there has to be a lift that could be connected to the ramp somehow. The Kiefer dealer want to take the ramp off, remove the wood, replace the wood with triangular aluminum bar and cover with rubber mat which might save some of the weight issue. Proabable cost $800. UGHHHH!  The springs coming out of their locked position will still be an issue even if some of the weight is gone.

Any ideas out there???? Please give suggestions. Thanks and Merry Christmas. Going riding tomorrow!!!

Susan in Illinois