[RC] frozen water tanks - Pvan19

I've had great succes with the frozen water tank problem by putting one of those heating plates they use for raising chicks underneath a plastic 100 liter waterbin in the stables

these are low voltage ( 12 V) and there is no contact with the water, you can keep the transformer safely away from the horses, these plates hardly consume any energy but give off enough heat to stop water from freezing - we've had -15°C here last winter and this worked fine. With lower temps you might want to use a slightly wider & lower bin so the top layer won't freeze

Ofcourse our pipes freeze up anyway so I still haul water but at least the troughs won't freeze..also found using big 3 gallon galvanised garden watering cans and making more trips is far less tiring than using the big plastic containers which are impossible to carry.

(and in spring the plate moves to the chickencoop to keep the chicks warm)

I've also tried using infrared lamps hanging over the bins but the horses tried to play with them unless they are really really high up

Pauline