Re: [RC] [RC] Freezing and tank heaters - Don Huston

At 06:37 AM 12/13/2005 Tuesday, you wrote:

If you look at the directions for most (can't say all) tank heaters they tell you NOT to use an extension cord.  I have had a problem that no electrician has been able to solve.  I have a very small current in tanks, metal or plastic, even with brand new heaters, enough to cause a shock like static electricity.  The voltage is maybe 2-4 volts, supposedly below the 10 volts that should cause a shock to livestock.  Well I have found that the dogs get shocked, horses get it too.......a real pain.  And these are brand new heaters from outlets that are dedicated soley to powering the tanks.  No other things on that circuit.  If you stick your hand in you don't get a shock, but find a small cut and slowly lower the cut over the surface of the water & you get a very uncomfortable buzz.  Theory is some stray current from some unknown source by 2 electricians $50 a pop thank you very much. I started using heated muck tubs that are 150 Watts (I think) as opposed to the 500 watt tank heaters and its been okay.  I keep two 85 gallon tanks inside my workshop with the tank heaters so that I have a ready supply of unfrozen water to put out fresh buckets twice daily.  Its been a pain but its been okay.  I nyears past I put large tanks out in the field with an extension cord & had no problem...........now its a problem even w/out an extension cord, grumble!

Jon

Hello Jon,
Have you tried putting bare copper wire into the water and then attaching it to a ground rod driven next to the tank?
Don Huston