Re: [RC] I Am In Desperate Need of Advise - Born Country

My, how times have changed!  I remember when I was
teenager and had my first horse, the pipes in the barn
froze in the winter (Toledo, Ohio).  My sister and I
had to dig through to snow to get out of the house and
dig into the barn, then hand carry buckets of water
for the horses, cows and pigs.  At that time, we
didn't mind at all, we were so in love with our horses
and it gave us an excuse to see them before the bus
came for school.  'Course, we were city folk
transplanted to the country and had no idea about
water heaters!  Great exercise and did manage to warm
us up, too.

Esther and Chagalle, who never worries about his water
freezing since his world resides in Sunny Florida

--- Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I love the email name, "Icy Pony"  sounds like that
it is appropriate for where you live.  As for the
water troughs.....you and this story is why I won't
use a tank heater.  Of course living in the South, I
only have to break ice maybe 12 times all winter.
But I am scared of the heaters.  I know that people
in cold climates have to have something to help
them.  Looks like the other people have offered some
good ideas of putting feed in the trough.   I don't
know of anything you could try.  Sorry about ordeal,
but at least the horses are physically OK, but may
be scared a bit mentally.

  Jody in 50 degree weather and sunny!!!

IcyPony@xxxxxxx wrote:
      About 6 weeks ago my tank heater shorted out
and shocked my 7 horses. The tank heater had only
been plugged in for about 2-3 hours that day. I have
always kept my tank heater plugged into a GFI outlet
and the water tank is attached to a grounding rod.
It turned out my GFI outlet was not working so it
didn't trip. The grounding rod probably kept my
horses from being electrocuted. It was 4 days before
I realized my horses were not drinking. Since then I
have tried everything I can think of to get them to
drink out of the water tank again. I normally have a
large metal tank that serves 2 pastures.  I removed
the metal tank, put in 2 Rubbermaid tanks, I have
moved the horses to different pens with different
tanks, I have tried floating carrots and apples in
the water, I even put peppermint extract in the
water because I heard horses like peppermint, but I
can only get 3 horses to drink out of the water
tanks. The other 4 will only drink out of buckets. I
have tried to take the
 buckets away and the horses start eating snow which
will not provide them enough water. I can't keep
hauling buckets of water all winter. The buckets
freeze quickly and the horses don't have free access
to water. I'm afraid they will colic. Does anyone
have any ideas?
  Mary

http://mail.yahoo.com