[RC] interference - SSherbrook

I have a question that I am sure has been discussed over the years.  I am relatively new to endurance riding, only 6 rides.  I have been working with a horse, with a lot of substance, for 3 years now.  For the first 2 1/2 years we had no interference.  Just within the past 4 to 6 months I have started having the problem.  I have been told that the more fit a horse becomes, his muscles can change and depending on his conformation, the muscles can pull him closer together, therefore causing interference.  Is there any truth to this and is there any way to correct the problem.  What can I do?

Thanks for any suggestions,
SM