[RC] rearing horse - Nancy Reed

First I have to say that I am not a trainer, this is just my experience. That said, Lyric my daughter's 7 year old grey Arab mare came to us with some "issues."  One was rearing when ever she was afraid, stressed or just did not want to do what was asked of her.  It was very bad for about 6 to 12 months.  She will still do it if she is having a bad day.

What worked for her was slowing down with her training and not overwhelming her.  We also found that she was a very insecure horse and needed to learn to trust us and herself.  Once she was more comfortable doing what we asked, the less she reared.  Our first ride (CTR) was more of a rodeo than anything else.

 The first time we took her to do barrels at a local fun show she just about came unglued.  All these strange horses were milling around the gate.  It totally unnerved her and she reared so high she was straight up.  The reason Lyric was so upset is that she had been telling us she was afraid with her behavior, but we were not listening.  She had to scream at us her fear and fright before we would listen.

After that we started to really listen to her.  When her behavior told us she was afraid, we would back off, take her away or just stop for a bit.  Once we started listening to her and not pushing her too hard the rearing stopped.  It took a while for Lyric to calm down and stop rearing, but it was worth it.

 Today my daughter who is 12 spent over an hour on Lyric's back reading a book with only a halter and lead rope.  Oh, and last month they took hi point in their division at the local gymkhana!  Yep, I'm one proud mom, proud of both of them  :-) I hope this helps, I know how difficult it can be.  Just learn to listen to your horse; it will make a big difference. Nancy Reed, Lazy J Ranch, Elfin Forest, CA