Re: [RC] This is one enlightened vet! - Chris Paus

--- Shari <windswept@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gee, I wonder who puts shoes on all those wild
Mustangs to protect their feet from excessive wear.?
Dr. Balch, maybe?

I think if you read Heidi's post, you'll see that Dr.
Balch is not anti-barefoot. He's saying that it will
be Ok for some horses in some situations, but not for
all. Just like there is no saddle that fits every
horse, no shoeing or barefoot situation is good for
all horses.

I'm not anti or pro barefoot. I'm for what works for
the individual horse. And to say that 99 percent of
horses feet with shoes are sickening, is ridiculous.
My Starman wears shoes and at every ride I take him
to, people come up to me and comment on his wonderful
feet. I bought this horse for his feet after having
put down a horse with chronic laminitis. He doesn't
wear shoes year round, they come off for winter. But I
do communicate with horses and the last time I took
him out for a ride barefoot, he clearly asked me when
he could have his shoes back on.

I have two other horses I ride barefoot and train on
trails that are pretty rocky. But I find when I ask
them to train on our gravel roads, even these longtime
barefooters get ouchy and need EZ boots or some other
protection. I've seen the ugly things that can happen
to a horse from bad farrier work, both shod and
unshod. And I've seen the good things that happen to a
horse's hooves, shod and unshod from good farrier
work.

I think it's the histrionics and absolutes that people
object to, not the idea of riding barefoot.

I've seen barefoot horses do well at rides and I've
seen them pulled for lameness, just like shod horses.

I have been a newspaper reporter and copy editor for
years and years and if your article was rejected,
there probably was a reason. Did you give both sides
of the story honestly? Did you quote credible sources?
Did you include unbiased pictures? Did you give good
resources for people to explore the issue further?
Were your facts credible with good, verifiable data?
Was the article written to promote barefoot or to
explain it and offer it as an option?

I'd like to read it and offer constructive feed back
to help you get it published if you would like.

chris

I never said all horses should go
barefoot; and you admit that "like most of us",
you knock barefoot horses..  I am protesting their
rigid mindset in refusing to print my article about
the success I've had.   THAT'S BIAS and uncalled
for, as is your crack about ocean front property
in Idaho.  I can personnly tell you, the more I ride
I horse, the better he gets.  And 99% of the shod
feet I see are sickening.....WAY too long, high
heels, flares, you can only imagine the DAMAGE being

done to the horse's joints,  not to mention his
feet.   The position on the website is not extreme,
just
ahead of the times.  Hide and watch.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus