Re: [RC] This is one enlightened vet! - heidi

I think if you read Heidi's post, you'll see that Dr.
Balch is not anti-barefoot. He's saying that it will
be Ok for some horses in some situations, but not for
all. Just like there is no saddle that fits every
horse, no shoeing or barefoot situation is good for
all horses.
<snip>
I think it's the histrionics and absolutes that people
object to, not the idea of riding barefoot.

Right on the mark, Chris.  It is the bias of those (and yes, Shari, this
is how your own post read as well--did your article read likewise?) who
make it sound as if shoeing is evil and who promote barefooting as the
cure of everything who ruffle feathers.

As a ride vet, I've never had a problem with folks who want to come ride a
specific ride barefoot where there is adequate footing for the horse to
not be injured by the attempt.  And as the experience of such individuals
grow, they either curtail their activities to fit the barefooting, or
boot, or shoe.  It is those who rant and rave about how going barefoot is
the great "wave of the future" that will put all our ills to rights that I
find disturbing.  I just wish such folks could have an open mind and come
watch some of the lameness exams on some of the barefoot horses that have
been forced to compete beyond the capacity of their feet to handle the
job.

Heidi