Re: [RC] This is one enlightened vet! - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Shari, it just seems to me that you come and post about barefoot bias, and in each of your posts, you show an unrelenting bias to shod hooves. Lunacy? Seems like bias to me. 99% of shod hooves sickening? That is bias. The website I went to with the link is biased. Not one shot of a nice shod hoof. All of the shod hooves were the worst I've ever seen. I just got back from WS and didn't see any horse with that bad of farrier mistakes. A good farrier is NOT going to do that.
I've got 2 mares. One is shod and one is not. My mare that is shod is tended to by an excellent farrier and her feet are perfect. She has never thrown a shoe, her feet always look perfect and most of all her feet are protected from the rocks that inhabit every foot of natural trail we have here in the foothills. The mare that is unshod also has nice feet, though she can't travel on as many miles of the trails we have here. The rocks just wear her feet down too fast and she does get tender after miles of the stuff. I'm not really a hoof boot person. I suppose if I get mare number two in serious training she MIGHT have to be shod. I hope not. Her feet are great and both myself AND my farrier feel that way.
I don't notice any difference in my mares. No weird "more flies on one than the other". Just one shod, one not. Although the unshod mare did have two abscesses this year. I don't mean to fight with you, I just think true unbias is doing what needs to be done for the horse, the miles and the terrain. I evaluate what my horses need and then do what is best for the individual. Bias is saying all horses should be shod-or unshod. You have to do what is best for the horse, regardless of where your personal hoof politics lie. I'd bet Heidi has horses that are both shod and unshod as well. How can she be biased?
And BTW, if your farrier is shoeing too long, if your horse has flares or crushed heels, you need to find a new farrier pronto. I'm willing to bet most endurance riders keep a pretty tight eye on their horses from head to toe including their farrier jobs. You have to, or you won't be piling up too many miles. Lame horses don't pass very many vet checks.
Tiffany