Re: [RC] United We Stand.. apology - heidi

I have not lost sight of the fact that endurance is a RACE.. period.
BUT, each person sets their own goals when they begin the ride, some
want to RACE, others to FINISH.

Yep.  The only thing different about FEI is that those who do want to race
(pretty much all of which have done their homework) all show up in one big
place to do it.

One of the main complaints about the old AERC points championship (by its
very vocal detractors, many of whom also seem to be on the bandwagon
bashing FEI) was that there was no "head-to-head" competition.  Well, FEI
is "head-to-head" competition.

 If I know that my horse is prepared to
ride hard and fast the entire ride, then that is how I will ride him.

That's pretty much what the FEI folks do.

BUT I refuse to ride my horse past what I know he can handle.. no ribbon
or award is worth him getting hurt.

Which is why FEI (like AERC, or perhaps even moreso) has strict veterinary
criteria (in case the rider gets race brain and does something he might
regret), and why you see people like Carol Giles pulling using the FEI
equivalent of our "rider option" when she just thinks her horse is not
having the best day and that enough is enough already.

"Them" are "us," folks.  "They" are the folks like us from all around the
world who want to go ride their horses.  The Aussies have a reputation as
long as ours and at least as caring as ours, and many other participating
countries are trying to ride to the same sorts of standards and ideals.
In many countries, they do not have an equivalent to AERC from which to
learn and through which to compete before they go.  A lot has been said
about the UAE and the other Arab countries--they are the new kids on the
block, they have a lot of money, and they want to play the game.  And they
are getting pretty good at it.  Additionally, this year they happened to
be the host country.  But there were 40+ countries represented, and most
of the folks there have the same cares and concerns and the same love of
their horses that we do.  FEI is not the UAE and the UAE is not the FEI.

I will ask this.. are you unhappy with the selection process because you
didn't get picked to respresent us?

I don't think I'm the one to whom you were directing this, but no, I'm not
unhappy with the selection process because I didn't get picked--I'm
unhappy with it because I think it could be a lot better.  And I think
that what we do with the horses before we go could be a lot better.  I
hope that my comments are taken in that vein, not as a slam against the
great folks who went and who did their best.  I personally know, admire,
and respect several of the folks who went, both as riders and as support
crew.  I personally have no particular interest in riding overseas, nor do
I have the athletic ability to be a likely contender.  But I've rubbed
elbows with the FEI enough to at least feel like I have some idea about
what is happening--I've been a team vet for 2 continental championships
and a WEC, I've chaired the OC for a Pan-Am, and I've crewed at the WEC in
Dubai.  There are many on this list with far more experience and knowledge
about FEI competition than I have, but I share what little I've done just
to verify that I've rubbed elbows enough to have a first-hand view.  FEI
endurance is quite recognizable as a part of "our" sport, and it is sad
that so many feel so driven to be negative about it.  It isn't everyone's
cup of tea--that's for sure!  But it exists, it is going to continue to
exist, and IMO it is far more constructive to try to make it better than
to try to draw some sort of self-righteous "us" vs. "them" distinction.
Again, "them" IS "us" to a degree--at least "us" is a significant part of
"them."

There are a lot of things in this life that I don't particularly want to
do.  Besides not particularly wanting to ride in a WEC, I don't aspire to
drive Indy cars, or be President, or a great many other things.  That
doesn't mean I don't appreciate those who do and wish them the best.

Heidi