[RC] WEC Observations - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nancy,
  First, thanks for commenting on the WEC.  I respect your experience as a
competitor and as a vet.  I appreciate you posting your observations.  But I
would like to make a few comments in regard to them.

1. Do you really expect this discussion list to be silent on all that we have
observed at the WEC?  Do you realize for the past week ridecamp, endurance.net,
and the UAE endurance website have inandated the endurance community with
videos, interviews, pictures, play by play reporting.  There was a live
broadcast of the race.  Of course we weren't there but we were sure encouraged
to feel like we were part of the experience.  There were even press releases
from USA-E. Now, because there is some discussion on some of the negative
aspects of the race that were reported we are not supposed to comment and
discuss them.  When UAE news reports that the gold medal is stripped from the
winner we are supposed to stay silent until the issue is resolved???  That is
like asking that there be no discussion on the men's gold medal gymnastic
nightmare at last summer's olympics until it was resolved months later.  I
think you are expecting too much....It was the sheik himself in interviews that
claimed this was his horse's first 100 mile ride.  How would I have known?  He
was quoted in two different articles.  I shouldn't question how he qualified
when I am sure that US riders needed a 100 mile COC to qualify.  If exceptions
can be made for one country why not for our riders???  It would sure save US
riders a lot of money if we didn't have to qualify with a COC.

2. As far as the high pull rate, there have been several discussions in the
past about high pull rates at the Tevis and the NC.  Such a high attrition rate
is worthy of discussion. I think that focusing on the high pull rate at the
Tevis may have lead to the addition of entry qualifications and an added vet/pr
check but of course I could be wrong.  I have to say that it is interesting
that you never mention the speed as a possible factor in the high pull rate
although everything from travel stress to stricter vetting was mentioned.  I am
sorry I have to disagree with you but a high pull rate like the WEC had is not
acceptable or OK.  Every ride can have excuses on why the pull rate was so
high....the reason for the high pull rate at the WEC is not a better reason
then the ones given for the tevis or the NC.

3. Can you tell how much real support FEI riding has in the general membership
of AERC?  Again, an honest question.  If there was a lot of support (meaning
large numbers) for this style of riding your working base to put on FEI rides
and a WEC would be much higher.  Can you honestly say the AERC I has done a
good job to build it's base and get new riders interested in FEI? How about
fundraising specifically for AERC international and stop expecting support from
the general membership.  I notice that individual rides can get huge
sponsorships why not approach these same sponsors to fund your international
riding program. I think it is very generous that the AERC board approved
loaning $800 to ride managers who sanction FEI rides along with their AERC
rides.  As a new, first time ride manager, I wish I could get a loan as seed
money for my AERC ride.  In my opinion, the AERC philosophy and the "new"
international philosophy are very different. You can't expect most AERC riders
to support a venue that they feel is not putting the horse first. The
international venue today does not seem it puts the horse first.  It may not be
fact but it sure is the impression. I know there are several of you that have
dedicated yourselves to international riding.  It is your passion just like
trail preservation may be the passion of another AERC member and sponsoring
juniors the passion of another and the Tevis Cup another.  I keep hearing there
is room for all in the big tent BUT a small minority keeps speaking up that it
isn't getting its support from the majority.  It seems to me the smaller group
should concentrate more on building it's numbers before it demands more elbow
room under the tent.  I really don't understand if FEI riding has big support
numbers why you just don't break off and reorganize with USA-E. Those members
who want could have dual membership in AERC.