Re: [RC] WEC Observations - heidi

1. Do you really expect this discussion list to be silent on all that we
have observed at the WEC?  Do you realize for the past week ridecamp,
endurance.net, and the UAE endurance website have inandated the
endurance community with videos, interviews, pictures, play by play
reporting.  There was a live broadcast of the race.  Of course we
weren't there but we were sure encouraged to feel like we were part of
the experience.  There were even press releases from USA-E. Now, because
there is some discussion on some of the negative aspects of the race
that were reported we are not supposed to comment and discuss them.
When UAE news reports that the gold medal is stripped from the winner we
are supposed to stay silent until the issue is resolved???  That is like
asking that there be no discussion on the men's gold medal gymnastic
nightmare at last summer's olympics until it was resolved months later.

Kim, I agree that we can't expect the list to stay silent.  But what is
sad (and I suspect Nancy is feeling this, by the tenor of her post) is the
negativism, and the using the problems as an anti-FEI platform, instead of
simply trying to understand what went wrong and to try to be constructive
for the future.  This isn't true of all of the posters--but several have
used the problems to continue to promote an anti-FEI agenda that they have
promoted repeatedly in the past.  (And no, Truman, my saying that does not
make me "pro" FEI--I'm simply calling a spade a spade here, and
registering my "disgust"--if I may borrow Truman's pet word--at the tone
of many of the postings.  Nancy is right--whether we are "for or against"
FEI--or whether like me we simply find it to be an interesting offshoot
that doesn't really affect our own endurance pursuits very much--these are
our friends and colleagues back there, some with success stories, some
with heartaches.  Sure wouldn't know it from listening to some of the
bashing and gnashing going on...)

I think you are expecting too much....It was the sheik himself in
interviews that claimed this was his horse's first 100 mile ride.  How
would I have known?  He was quoted in two different articles.  I
shouldn't question how he qualified when I am sure that US riders needed
a 100 mile COC to qualify.  If exceptions can be made for one country
why not for our riders???  It would sure save US riders a lot of money
if we didn't have to qualify with a COC.

Again, Kim, the USA holds its riders to a higher qualification standard
than the FEI does itself.  You need to understand that aspect of the
process--the "blame" for our riders "needing" to have what we require is
the choice of our own federation, not the FEI.  And personally, I think
that the higher qualification makes a statement about who we are and how
we care about our horses.  I wouldn't change that, personally.

2. As far as the high pull rate, there have been several discussions in
the past about high pull rates at the Tevis and the NC.  Such a high
attrition rate is worthy of discussion. I think that focusing on the
high pull rate at the Tevis may have lead to the addition of entry
qualifications and an added vet/pr check but of course I could be wrong.

An added vet check might just make the pull rate higher.  I don't see what
the problem is with the high pull rate--it simply means that horses were
not allowed to continue that should not continue.  And that is good.  Some
were indeed pulled by the vets--but I'd wager that in most cases the
riders knew the score.  And our own Carol Giles is a perfect case
representing that even at the FEI level, when a horse just "ain't doin'
right" what's the point?  That's the time to quit, and Carol did.  Nor was
she the only one who withdrew from the competition in such a manner.

It seems to me that by bashing the completion rate, we are bashing the
very things that are put in place to KEEP the WEC from hurting horses...
JMHO.

 I have to say that it is interesting that you never mention the speed
as a possible factor in the high pull rate although everything from
travel stress to stricter vetting was mentioned.

Speed is not usually a factor in the high pull rate at Tevis, either.
While I agree that speed is a factor, it is just one factor of many.

I am sorry I have to
disagree with you but a high pull rate like the WEC had is not
acceptable or OK.

Would it be better if the pull rate had been lowered by letting
compromised horses continue?  I think not....  While I don't "like" the
high pull rate in an intellectual sense, I am also glad to see that the
vetting is that strict when there is that much on the line.

Every ride can have excuses on why the pull rate was
so high....the reason for the high pull rate at the WEC is not a better
reason then the ones given for the tevis or the NC.

No ride's reasons are "better" than those for any other ride--they are
simply the reasons.

3. Can you tell how much real support FEI riding has in the general
membership of AERC?  Again, an honest question.  If there was a lot of
support (meaning large numbers) for this style of riding your working
base to put on FEI rides and a WEC would be much higher.

I do agree that AERC has been poor in supporting International riding.
And too much of it is a knee-jerk reaction to anything that is even
remotely different than how "we" do things.  Sad.

Can you
honestly say the AERC I has done a good job to build it's base and get
new riders interested in FEI?

To that, yes.  Seems like there are new faces on the FEI front all the time.

How about fundraising specifically for
AERC international and stop expecting support from the general
membership.

Um, I believe that what you are suggesting IS how it is already done.  One
reason for HAVING AERC-I is to separate the international funding process
from the AERC.  The general membership never has and likely never will
"support" the FEI riders financially.  And that is just fine.  I'm just
sorry to see the riders who have been our friends and colleagues for years
suddenly being lumped as "them" because they happen to have a good horse
and a dream, and decide to add International to what they do.

You can't
expect most AERC riders to support a venue that they feel is not putting
the horse first. The international venue today does not seem it puts the
horse first.  It may not be fact but it sure is the impression.

Maybe that's because so many people get up in arms when the horses that
are compromised are PULLED, which in reality is "putting the horse first"
but in the context of Ridecamp seems to be a bashing point for FEI, never
mind that the same sorts of stats happen on AERC rides here at home.  If
pulling them here is "caring for the horses" then pulling them there is
the same thing.

I know
there are several of you that have dedicated yourselves to international
riding.  It is your passion just like trail preservation may be the
passion of another AERC member and sponsoring juniors the passion of
another and the Tevis Cup another.  I keep hearing there is room for all
in the big tent BUT a small minority keeps speaking up that it isn't
getting its support from the majority.  It seems to me the smaller group
should concentrate more on building it's numbers before it demands more
elbow room under the tent.  I really don't understand if FEI riding has
big support numbers why you just don't break off and reorganize with
USA-E. Those members who want could have dual membership in AERC.

This was the sort of argument that went around when international
endurance first started to become popular.  My response then (and my
response still) is that if we drive international riders from the AERC
fold, then we as AERC have NO avenue for comment on or improvement of the
FEI rides.  I'd far rather keep a hand-holding association so that we CAN
have positive input into the international scene--and despite its
imperfections, FEI has come a LONG way in its rendition of endurance,
thanks primarily to the proactive involvement of AERC and the Aussies.

Heidi