[RC] Wow...what a great perspective - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your post make complete and perfect sense and explains weak performances on the
International level.  It also explains why so many AERC riders feel the FEI is
not compatible within AERC anymore.  This explains some of the frustration with
dual sanctioned rides here also.  There is a dicotomy when you choose your
international riders from a pool of AERC riders and AERC events.  AERC places
importance on the completion therefore to finish is to win.  As you mention,
International competition focuses on the win or the single performance. Overall
lifetime mileage doesn't matter.  It seems we are trying to blend to very
different sports and philosophies and then can't understand why there are fewer
successes and dissention in the ranks.  I looked up Debbi's record and it is
quite impressive....I am even familar with one of her horses as it is
originally from CA and I know the breeding and knew the horse before it was
sold.  Her record is impressive a  "race horse" rider, trainer, and competitor
if you consider endurance long distance "racing".  Kudos to that but her record
on that front.  In terms of an endurance rider it is not what most would
consider impressive or respectable but would border on taking chances and being
abusive.  As we heard from Debi, she feels 12 hour endurance rides are abusive.
No one is wrong if we are talking about two different sports.  The problem is
is that those that want to "race" and compete internationally want to use the
AERC venue as their platform and that is what seems not to be working well
anymore.

Kim

n regards to the comment by Debi Foti and the reply from Perry.  You're right
Perry you don't see Debi's name in the standings because she concentrates on
riding international. When you ride international you do not put thousands of
miles on your horse then ask him to crank out international level speeds. Keep
international seperate from AERC these are 2 different kinds of endurance
sports, that are trained for completely differently. She bought a horse I bred
and raised and trained him to a level that allowed him to be bought and
exported. She has been a flat track trainer for years and has more horse
experience than most realize.  Had she kept him she would have easily kicked
butt at the worlds, her mistake was selling him but that was her choice.  He
needed to represent UAS not Dubai.

International riders realize that they cannot have high mileage horses and
still compete on the international level.  Your international level horses stay
international level and you need your aerc horse for the other rides/races.
Rio and other horses of the past were not taken to this fast level of racing.
Criteria was different, racing courses were different.  Horses are not the
machines that most people think they are.. They can not do high mileage like
most AERC members want then, step up to international level intensity and
speed.  We are talking 2 different kinds of competitions.  International
competition needs to stay seperate from AERC.  Views and attitudes are just too
different and strategy and training are just to different.

But we need better minds on the riders and veternarians, and better training
techniques. There needs to be better horse selection procedures also.  If most
selected horses end up lame or the training camp intensity lames them up, then
people need to be willing to go back to the list and start again, but there was
no time left.  Horses going to Dubai need to be heat horses, most not all,
mix-breeds cannot handle the heat as well as most pure arabians. That is not
saying, do not use mix breeds, just pick the heat tolerant horses and ride them
like that at the ride do not expect to race w/the big boys that live there on
those particular horses, finish don't expect to race.

The USA needs to definetly change seletion procedures for International races.
The comment that MOUNTAIN horses have never seen sand is ridiculous.  Try MT.
Carmel if you want sand or Color Country or Oreana (set up for FEI training) or
come out and ride in Moab. I'll give you sand.  Most AERC members have quit
wanting to step up to the international level, because of not only the speed
but the ridiculous politics that occur during the selection process.  There are
a few of the selectors that tried their best to select the best possible
individuals out of the pool that was present.  But once that occured and it got
down to the last group that's when things fell apart.  Horse and riders teams
need to be selected for their horsemanship skills and care of the horse, but
also for team support. Dictatorship was used in Flordia, changes were made and
forced upon riders with the ultimatim of not being on the team.

Ridecamp member and readers, please start understanding the difference and
don't use AERC motto to finish is to win w/International level.  International
level is race to the finish line. If you don't like their motto, then don't
compete to international level, let them make their mistakes just like a lot of
AERC members do.

Thanks