[RC] Ride Story Wickenburg Ride That Wasn't (for me anyway!) - Vallonelee

In a message dated 1/29/05 3:03:42 PM US Mountain Standard Time, copper111@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hoo Boy! We left without getting started because of the weather... The ride was not cancelled, but I live not too far from here, & AZ is known for flash floods in washes & dangerous Air to Ground Lightening.
We braved the weather and drove from Yuma to do the Wickenburg ride.  Since our engagement at this ride last year, my "now" husband, David, and I were going to do the 50.  This would be Dave's first 50, so what better place to do it then the Wickenburg.

Friday we arrived in camp and the weather was glorious.  Sun shining,air crisp and cool.  The desert was beautiful after the recent rains.  We were excited about the prospect of a beautiful ride day.  Check in was uneventful and we were ready to go.

Robin and Nancy are excellent ride managers - everything is so organized and flows smoothly.  The ride meeting was concise and the trail promised to be beautiful.  Management provided a full spread of goodies at the meeting including pizza and beer ! !  WOW !! !

We did our final check on Bravo and Kaci and went to bed excited about the following day.  About 4 a.m. the rain started to fall, not drizzle - but it sounded like a freight train coming through camp.  The hail followed and the camp was awash.   Nothing to do but wait and see.  The ride time was set back one hour but by this time Dave and I decided not to start.  We were both fighting horrible chest colds and felt a soaking in the freezing rain was not a good thing.  So we withdrew.  However, this ride is held for a very good cause (the profits go to the Wounded Soldiers Fund) and since we knew how hard it can be on Ride Managers to even make ends meet sometimes, we decided to donate our ride entry instead of getting a refund.

Robin did an excellent job of maintaining her cool under all the pressures - including a lost horse.  The rider had gotten off to fix tack and with other riders coming the horse pulled free and ran cross country off the trail.  With all the bad weather everyone was worried but the horse was recovered a few hours later.  Search and Rescue and the Sheriff's Department were out in force looking everywhere.  What a relief for everyone.

So there were many brave souls that did go out on the trail that day for both the 25 and 50 mile rides - my hat is off to them.

This ride is so well run and organized and very supportive of riders.  I urge everyone that has never made this ride to but it on your must-do list.  Robin and Nancy are the best and I want to thank them for going through all the work to provide a wonderful ride in the SW.

Lee and David