[RC] whereRU Tom - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: diane day fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe all people have the right to their personal religious beliefs.  The
problem begins when someone tries to persuade ME that their beliefs should also
become mine.....or else!

I totally understand what you are trying to say here, Barbara - but I am going
to do a Tom Ivers kind of thing because I want to ask people to think.  I know
your reference was to religion -
and not wanting people to share theirs with you - but this mantra of "don't
push your beliefs on me" has so spread into society that it is really worrisome
to me.  Tom Ivers had a lot of good things for riders to learn, but we allowed
our "easily offended natures to close our minds to them. If you see me ride
into camp with a wreck of a horse - I sure hope you will share you belief with
me, that that is not acceptable or that he needs E-lytes or whatever your
belief is that I could perhaps benefit from.  I say this because I am hearing
in so many areas of my life "oh gosh I wanted to say something, but I didnt
want to offend her" or "you can't tell her what to do ( in reference to a
medical act of incompetance this was..)  she'll get offended!"  Yes, it is far
better to be gentle and courteous in sharing things that might offend others,
but sometimes you gotta risk someone not liking you or someone getting their
feelings hurt.  This whole politically correct party line of being tolerant
started out with the best of intentions, I am sure, probably in response to
some really obnoxious attitudes - but we can't take it so far as to be causing
risks to others - including horses ( where the most sensitive of personalites
lay!! ) because we don't want to "offend".  Just a thought from a devotee of
Tom Iver's think tank cause.
PS - Here a thought provoker:  Was it not tolerance that allowed Hitler to
proceed as far as he did?   BTW - being the anti-misinformationist that I am, I
have to say Hitler was no Christian, as one poster suggested.  His book Mein
Kampf was dedicated to Karl Marx. For endurance relativity:  For years, (and
its still going on )  - horses who were difficult were believed to be needing a
good beating - should we share our beliefs with those still practicing such
brutality that there may be another way or should we not try and "push" it on
them?