Re: [RC] Reply to Risk Question & Mileage/Glory - DVeritas

In a message dated 12/5/2005 11:22:32 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, bobmorris@xxxxxxxx writes:
In all reality there is no worthwhile value to such a discussion as many of the factors that enter into the risk are uncontrollable. Life exists and goes on, things will happen and life still goes on. Accept it and have fun with your equine companions
Speed is controllable.
Distance ridden is controllable.
Frequency is controllable.
Preparation, and all that means,  is controllable.
The ability to accurately weigh risk versus reward is controllable.

These things, I believe, are part of a well-managed pursuit of glory.  I believe there is nothing inherently wrong with the Pursuit of Glory, on the behalf of the horse, or on behalf of the rider or just for the sake of the Pursuit.  Absent a critical eye, with the ability to process the realities of the pursuit, though, there might be something amiss with the program being used.  If learning happens while in the process, gosh, that seems okay, provided certain bridges aren't crossed and burned in the doing.

Perhaps, truly understanding and controlling that which is controllable, coupled with a subtle vigilance against that which is not, might be the way to go.  Particularly if one is involved in an active pursuit.

In that vein, I believe it is worthwhile to exchange opinions, founded or unfounded, newbie or BTDT's (been-there-done-that's), because somewhere in the rummaging around we'll all find something we fancy in the Endurance Box of Goodies.

Frank