[RC] LD: It's Getting Ugly in Here - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Howard Bramhall howard9732@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

As I tried to say in one of my earlier posts, the one where even Dr. Weary said
he agreed with me (I bet he felt nauseas when he wrote that one), all
LD/endurance awards, each and every one of them, are for the human and the
human alone.  The horse does not care at all if he gets BC or 1st Place or even
the Turtle award.

You want to reward your horse for what he's done?  Bake him an apple pie or a
carrot cake and, when he's done eating it all, wet sponge his dirty butt area
that needs cleaning. This last act will help keep your ego in check. Your horse
just wants to eat, poop, feel clean (especially back there) and be merry with
the other horses.  Any endurance award you've received is for your ego and
yours alone. Even a biothane bridle is really for you, not your horse.  He
actually prefers not to wear anything.  Unlike most humans, all horses are
nudists.

Say what you want about LD riders but I do know there are quite a few of them
who do that distance for the health of their horse and that reason alone.  Less
distance, less chance of getting a horse into trouble.  It's a mantra for quite
a few LD riders and I don't think anyone should think less of them for not
being the risk takers that true endurance requires one to be, no matter what
speed you travel, no matter what prior training you do with your horse.

The more miles you do on a horse in one given day, the more chance of something
going wrong. This is why we hold 100 milers to such a high level of respect;
they are taking the greatest risk in our sport with their horse.  To think less
of those who choose not to take such a risk is plain wrong.  I, personally,
don't think we reward the real LD rider enough. The rider who does this
distance to protect their horse. The rider who will not be persuaded, by
others, to step up and do true endurance just because of labels, definitions,
and awards.  There's a reason why they do what they do and once you see it, you
gotta love them for it. For me, the LD riders who thinks this way are the best
horse people I know.  They never take their horse close to that endurance edge
and God Bless them for thinking that way.

Racers are in every distance, btw, not only the LD. We have racers and we have
runners in our sport and the horse is in jeopardy with both of those types of
riders, no matter what the distance.  Some of ya'll really need to read the
Duck's creed on what is an endurance racer and what is an endurance rider.
When I do get back into this sport, it will be the Duck's way or I just won't
show up at all.

For me, the true endurance rider is the one who realizes that he is risking his
horse by doing any distance and this is on his mind each and every mile his
horse achieves, no matter what the final number turns out to be.  The true
endurance rider will stop when they know their horse has traveled too far, even
if this involves not completing the ride.

It really shouldn't be about the miles, it should be about the journey with the
final destination being a fit and well horse.  Anything else, awards, total
miles, badges of honor, are secondary.  If the horse is not there at the end of
the day, for you to hug and thank for taking you wherever you wanted to go, the
awards mean nothing.

cya,
Howard (be proud of any award you've earned but be more proud of the horse who
made darn sure you got it)

Diane,

Nope, you're the one who has it all wrong! 'Nuff said!

Jeanne
West Region
AERC 4887
http://home.comcast.net/~endurancemorgan/