RE: [RC] B on gut sounds - Jim Holland

The objective, of course, is to keep something in the pipe, keep the pipe
lubricated, and keep things moving along, but be aware that reduced gut
sounds are related to other factors other than not eating and drinking. For
example, if the horse gets overheated to some extent, his body will
partially shut down digestion and shunt blood away from his digestive system
to the extremities to aid in cooling. This is a factor that the rider should
keep in mind on hot, humid days.  Conditioning, along with stress and the
horse's ability to handle it will also impact gut sounds, which is a good
reason to not only condition your horse, but "train" him to deal with the
ride environment as well. I don't worry too much about a B or B+ on guts at
the first vet check if everything else is normal, but I do look for a trend.
If the day is VERY hot, B is pretty normal for my guys, even at the final.
Typically, I expect gut sounds to IMPROVE as the ride goes on....AND as they
get more fit and more relaxed at rides.

Some vets will check gut sounds in 4 quadrants and write that in a "Tic Tac
Toe" box on the vet card as a reference. I have forgotten exactly now how it
works, (maybe of our vets can help me here) but due to the "arrangement" of
the gut, the absence or presence of gut sounds in specific quadrants is
meaningful.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm