[RC] Juniors - Becky Hackworth

Yes, I will have to say that those 3 daughter rides are some of the most memorable.

Most of the time it was just one riding with me, but I think the most memorable was my 1st 100 and she was crewing for me (before she could even drive!) and she was the only one up when I finished.  She was standing there in the dark, all by herself at the finish line.  Took the horse from me and took over completely.  She has done that a lot for me thru the years.  I have returned the favor for her first 100.  And her second.  Thanks to Elfta and Nick W for sponsoring her when Mom didn't have a horse those years.  (She got mine)

Yes, we tried to keep the kids busy growing up without structuring every minute.  "Play" time is important.  It is also important to be able to "amuse" ones self.  I see many of the younger generation that isn't able to do that.  It is very sad.

And one more thing.  I have gotten all 4 of daughters to 18 without becoming a Grandmother.  I see a WHOLE lot where I work that can't say that.

Best advice to live through a ride with a junior.  Keep them hydrated (kids dehydrate more quickly than adults) and keep their blood sugar up!  Pack lots of snacks ON THE HORSE with them.  This REALLY keeps down the whining.

Good luck and treasure this time with your kids.  It is truly a very short time.

Becky and the Gang