[RC] deadly trails - Mary Ann Spencer

I have been forwarded the original story.  It is VERY sad.  It DOES point up some very important things:

Horse riding can be more than dangerous to horse and rider.
No horse is bombproof.
Steep slope and trails are WAY more dangerous than regular trails.
Something needs to be figured out so the horse hears the bikes.

I normally live in TX.  Have done a good amount of riding over the past MANY yrs.  HOWEVER, riding in S CAL canyons was SCARRY AS H**LL.  My horse was green and did not want to be left behind the other horse but there were places there was NO choice.  That was not fun.  Guess those in CA get used to it.  However, those type of trails, not matter how exciting they may be to ride, have, IHMO, greater risks than 'average' trails.   Then to add the 'wheel' vehicles of several varieties must be a horrendous challenge.   Riding on an 18 inch trail that goes straight up and straight down without any other challenges was more than an ordinary challenge.  One spook and 'it is over'  for you or your horse or both.

Wonder if something simple attached to the bikes, like the jingle bells we attached to our horses during hunting season, would help, ie some sort of noise the horse would hear before a sudden confrontation.  Perhaps bells on the horses and something on the bikes to alert everyone.  Surely if the groups had some meetings something could be agreed on.

It could have been just as disasterous for the bike rider if he had fallen down that steep sloop.