[RC] LD BC...again - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Peggy Eaton said:

You're keeping this discussion on the right track - STANDARDIZATION
is what it boils down to - that's the ONLY problem.

This is a bullshit argument.

The form for earning points towards an AERC LD BC Regional Championship IS
standardized.  What is not standardized is the number of ride managers
putting on rides where such points can be earned.

However, this is true for all of the awards that the AERC provides, not
just the LD BC Championships.

Yes it is true that there are few rides in the West region where points
towards an LD BC Championship can be earned.  However it is also true that
last year there were no (as in NONE, ZIP, NADA) rides in either the
Northeast or Central Regions where riders could earn points towards Pioneer
Awards and only one in the Midwest.  While the West, Pacific South, and
Southwest had many such rides.  On the other hand, the Pacific South had
but a scant two rides where points could be earned toward the National 100
Mile Championship, while the Northwest had seven.

And these are National Awards, mind you, not just Regional ones.  So in
order to compete for these awards, members in regions that don't offer many
rides where points can be earned for them have to compete against people in
regions where they do.  While the Regional LD BC Championship only has to
be competed for against people who are equally as limited by the number of
rides in the region that offer the opportunity to earn points toward it.

The AERC simply cannot require ride managers to put on all the forms of
rides where points towards any awards can be earned, nor can it standardize
the number of rides across the regions.  If few ride managers in the West
region elect to put on rides where LD BC points can be earned, so what? Few
ride managers in the Pacific South elect to put on rides where National 100
Mile Award points can be earned. Nobody is suggesting that the AERC make a
rule about this.

If the AERC would really like to get more ride managers to use the AERC's
LD BC form so that more riders could earn points toward the Regional LD BC
Championships, then what the AERC needs to do is find a form that more ride
managers are WILLING to use.  After all, this is what they have done with
respect to BC for other distances (they have come up with a form that
virtually everybody is willing to use, even though they don't have to,
Tevis being the notable exception).

If, instead, the AERC starts telling ride managers that they HAVE to use
the form if they put on an LD ride, whether they are willing or not, then
the unintended consequence of this may be that these ride managers will
stop putting on LD rides entirely.

In the West region, from what I understand, there is no shortage of rides
or riders, what there is a shortage of is vets.  So if vets in the West
region are philosophically opposed to judging BC using the AERC's form as
currently defined, cramming it down their throats is likely to exacerbate
the shortage by making them refuse to vet rides at all.

What riders who want to earn AERC points for LD BC need to do is attend
rides where the ride managers choose to offer this format and avoid those
rides where they do not just as, if I want to earn points towards the
National 100 Mile Award, I need to go to rides where the 100 miles in one
day format is offered.  I can also let ride managers (at rides where the
one day 100 is not offered) that were they to offer it, I would come.  Then
these same ride managers can decide for themselves if they care enough
about me (or if there are enough people like me) to put on a one day 100 as
well.

What the AERC should NOT do is tell ride managers that if they want to put
on an LD ride for people who will come even if it doesn't offer LD BC that
they can't; any more than the AERC should tell ride managers that if they
want to put on a 50 mile ride for people who will come to that even if it
doesn't offer a 100 miler that they can't.

Arguing that the AERC should do this in the name of standardization and to
make it "fair" because ride managers should be required to put on more
rides where I can earn points towards my award of choice is just plain
absurd.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .