[RC] BC for LD - Jonni/Kathleen - sandy . l . holder

Jonni/Kathleen,

I haven't had much time to read all the ridecamp stuff lately but took a moment at lunch today to try and catch up.  I saw a post with respect to 'why/why not' for LD.

I can only speak from experience in saying that I FELT AWFULLY FOOLISH when I didn't have a CLUE to show my horse for BC after my first 100 miler finish.  Guess what?  I've been in AERC for 4 seasons.  Yes, I started out in 25's.  No, starting at the LD level didn't keep me from 'moving up to the 100 miler', in fact, I thought I'd die trying to finish my first 25 miler.  If my only choice had been a 100 (the old days) or a 50 miler (prior to LD), I'd have NEVER had the guts to attempt a 100.  Call me a wimp or whatever, I can only tell you that I didn't think my little 200 lbs. underweight rescue when I got him, would have a CHANCE to go further than 25 miles!  So, the good news is I've learned a lot along the way (made a bunch of mistakes unfortunately that I've learned from), ride with the goal to be able to still ride my 16 year old horse for a total of 10 years (he was 12 when I got him) and am looking forward to the next ride.

Back to the topic though, I almost DIDN'T show for BC because I'd never done it.  It sure would have been nice to have 'tried it' before I found myself really tired at 7:00 a.m. after having finished a tough 100 miler - and having told everyone I was going to sleep in - trotting my horse out and not knowing that it was more than just out and back.  Ok, so I have seen the Tevis BC (once) with all their beautiful chalk lines, etc.  I also have a couple of friends that due to time commitments and THEIR health (not their horses), can't do much more than 25 miles.  Do I think that if AERC has a BC for LD in the Southeast that we should too (here in the west), yes.  Did I have any idea that this was such a hot topic (in the West) 6 months ago?  Heck no!  I found myself 'stepping up to the plate' to help Co-Manage a ride that wouldn't have happened had I not stepped up, thinking that BC for LD would be a great idea only to find myself being 'boiled' the Monday before the ride by my own club who hadn't read their monthly newsletter or attended any meetings or come to the 2 dinners the other co-RM and I set up. . . enough said.

Did I learn something doing BC?  Absolutely!  Will I have the guts to do it again - well, if I ever find myself in Top 10 again - yes.  Do I think it's a good idea to have BC for LD - start throwing stones now - I definitely do because I do believe LD is THE TRAINING GROUND for endurance - all aspects!  I've offered to be a RM again but I think our club needs to figure out whether we as a group will support a BC for LD.  It kind of helps to 'know whether we do' before putting out the entry forms.

My 2 cents worth. . . oh, and I really think that if we're all members of AERC and there's all the point standings, awards, etc. that we should standardize on the LD BC whatever way that is - yes or no.

I'll go back to being quite now.

Sandy
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.