Re: [RC] LD BC etc. - Truman Prevatt

Jonni wrote:

Ride management and vets are given the ability to make choices on BC judging
in endurance rides, along with limited distance. Really, there is nothing
truly standard with the endurance rides. Here are the first few rules:

******
An award will be available for the equine judged to be in the Best
Condition.
9.1 The award does not have to be given.
9.1.1 The veterinarian(s) may feel that none of the equines in contention
for the award deserve to receive it.
9.2 Use of the AERC Best Condition System is optional with ride management.
9.2.1 Only equines selected as Best Condition using this system (with Best
Condition forms returned along with the ride results) are recognized by the
AERC.
****

So, while the BC award WILL be available, the award does not HAVE to be
given. And the AERC BC system is OPTIONAL.  Ride managers do have choices.
Many base how they run their ride, on past experiences. Remember, it is
their ride. The only requirement is to meet the requirements set in the rule
book by AERC for it to have sanctioning. And, based on the rules above, they
do have leeway with BC for all endurance rides, not just LD.

Bingo.

Riders also have choices. They can CHOOSE to not attend a ride, if it does
not meet the requirements that THEY expect from a ride. I don't know what
rides are getting everyone's tights in a wad over the limited distance BC
judging/awards, but I'd guess that they are long time ride managers, who
have been around the sport awhile. And I'd also guess that if pushed to
change too much, they would drop the limited distance all together. This is
just a gut feeling, nothing more.

This is exactly right. To add I sure don't see a crisis and no need for the AERC to "demand" all rides follow one standard other than what is currently spelled out. If you did in the LD you would have to do so in all distances. I see it as an issue between the ride managers and the riders in those few rides that don't offer an LD BC that meets the AERC standard to be counted toward an award.

Nothing seems broke to me.

Truman

Jonni