Re: [RC] LD/BC - Diane Trefethen

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would beg to differ with this comparison.  The riders who felt that
they didn't want to ride further due to age, infirmity, scheduling, or
just plain druthers have been with us since the beginning.
My turn to differ.  You are trying to imply that there were a substantial
number of
non-beginners in these early rides.  T'aint so.  The short rides WERE called
Novice
Rides back in the 80's and that wasn't because they were chock full of
experienced
riders and horses who just wanted to scale back from the 50's and 100's.

...it was those very people who influenced the board (and rightly
so, IMO) not to call it "Novice Distance" since most of them weren't
novices.  The very name "Limited Distance" came about precisely BECAUSE
these riders have always been an active part of the scene on the rides
of "limited" distance.
While I am glad these rides aren't labeled "Novice" since they do indeed
encompass a
much broader range of ability than just beginners, nevertheless, I think you are
confusing loud, vocal and persistent with large in numbers.  Back then, there
were
MUCH fewer non-beginners than beginners at these rides.  In MY opinion, the
current
status quo reflects the elevation of the DESIRES of competitive Limited Distance
riders to achieve and win accolades over the NEEDS of beginning riders to have a
safe, supportive venue in which to try out the sport of Endurance.

And the old should-have-been-an-English-teacher always kicks in when the
name comes under discussion--"limited" is an adjective that modifies the
noun "distance," implying that the distance is not as far as some other
distance. It in no way implies that the capability of the riders or
horses that ride those "limited" distances is also limited...
Frankly Heidi, this last really ticks me off.  I never applied "limited" to
either horse or rider in my post and for you to imply I did is, well, a bit
under-handed, perhaps designed to influence the ambivalent readers on this
forum more
than to improve anyone's English.