RE: [RC] Attn: Susan Garlinghouse,need advice on afalfa for pastures. - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

I hope Susan can help.  Or possibly anyone else on the east coast who has
had same situation.  We are thinking of purchasing a property which has
approx. 28acres of alfalfa feilds.  We need to build a barn and put the
horses their as soon as we get there.  What can we do about putting horses
on alfalfa pasture who have NEVER even been given alfalfa hay. How do we
manage or how can we change a portion of the fields for pasture.  I know
this sounds stupid of me, but I have never been in the situation of having
alfalfa fields. I have 4 horses.  2 in the 20's, 1 4yr old and 1 8yrold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Those aren't dumb questions.  I sure wouldn't suggest putting horses out
onto an alfalfa field that weren't used to it, sounds like a great recipe
for colic.  Put up their barn or corrals or something, but don't put them
into the field for the time being.  I would contact the local extension
agent to get suggestions for grass hays suitable for your area, and plant
that.  The first year you'll get an alfalfa-grass mix to cut for hay (and
you'll get much more yield if you cut it rather than allow the horses to
graze, as they damage almost as much as they'll eat.  Next year keep
planting the grass, each year it will out-compete the alfalfa and eventually
you'll get primarily a grass hay field with a stray bit of alfalfa here and
there.

Does that help?

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS