[RC] Bonita Easy Come, Easy Go Turkey Trot - part 2 - Vallonelee

The final loop is only 12 miles and I still have 5 1/2 hours to make it.  I really don't feel there is much, if anything, wrong with Bravo then perhaps a slight tightness from standing still for so long after all the climbing we just did and being in weather a lot more humid and cooler then we are used to coming from Yuma.  I make the decision to continue on (with David's urging), but I decide I will hand walk all the up and down hills and ride him only on the flat sections.  I tell Dave not to be worried if it takes me a long time to reach the finish.  But I am a paranoid person when it comes to my horse and if Bravo blinks wrong I second guess my decision many times over the time it takes to cover that last 12 mile loop.

I also think that perhaps my electrolyte protocol was off. I am not accustomed to dealing with the humidity. I did participate in the Pride Project so I know that my feeding/electrolytes are right on with this horse for our normal conditions.  I decide to give a full dose of electrolytes before leaving the check (which would be a double dose of my usual amount) since he has been drinking nonstop the entire hour.  And off we go.....

We get about one mile from camp to the first hill, I hop off and tail up, lead down - not too bad.  Back on and off over the next 6 miles and then the killer last climb.  I had to stop three times to catch my breath even with tailing.  Sheesh that was a BIG hill. It really gives you an appreciation for what these magnificent creatures do for us when you are on foot doing it yourself.  We crest the hill and there are two guys sitting at a picnic table (we are close to camp). They ask me if I just walked that entire hill and I couldn't answer for a minute until I caught my breath. When I said yes, they just shook their head !  So what goes up, must go down and very quickly too.  I am crapwalking sideways over the erosion ruts when it happens, I lose my footing and skid down on my left side, into the erosion ditch. Bravo is sliding down with his hocks under him and he passes me by.  It happens quickly but seems to be going by in slow motion.  I have not lost my grip on the reins and as he passes I grab his tail and he pulls me back up on my feet.  And yes, I have the bruises to prove it today.

At the bottom of the hill I mount up and we trot the remainder of the course.  Everyone is waiting at the finish and are hooting and hollering.  I make Bravo walk the slight incline up to the finish, even though he was excited to be done and wanted to trot.

The vet area was right there by the finish and I decide to pulse down and vet through, just in case there is a chance of him tightening up.  So I cool him out with some sponging on the neck and check his heart rate - 56. We are at criteria.  I pull the saddle right there, cover him with a cooler and go to vet through. I have Dave trot Bravo so I can see, and he looks fine.  There is a line but I wait and walk him in circles until it is our time.  We have the same vet as at the last check and I worry some more.  She remembers us.............  She checks his vitals, gut sounds, back, etc. - all As.  Now the moment of truth, the trot out.

I know the minute I step off with the lead that he is fine - he surges ahead of me - tail flagging and I have tears in my eyes once again at the beautiful spirit of this horse of mine.  I don't even get three steps and she says, YOUR FINE !  He received all As.

Was there a problem - maybe.
Should I have pulled him - maybe.   But we are both endurance addicts, this horse and me.  We live to ride the trails, sometimes fast and furious, sometime he takes care of me, and sometimes I take care of us.  Partnership, pure and simple - no ego for where we place or what we win or don't win.   In the end the horse doesn't know where he places, he only knows how he feels.

My best reward was seeing the sparkle in his eye when we returned to the trailer and he hollers up a storm to Kaci and the camp, telling them he is the WINNER (well in my eyes anyway)   ;)

Lee