Re: [RC] [RC]AQHA vs AHA (was AHA Sweepstakes Program from the horses mout... - Chris Paus

Nat Nelson <circlenat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Unfortunately, it is NOT in the past. It is getting
I'm sorry you feel that way, that you're getting a raw
deal. However, I don't know of a single breed
association in this day in age that can offer any
advertising for free.

I'm not talking about advertising in a 4 color magazine.. I'm talking about what used to be free on their website. I'm not a skinflint. I don't expect services for nothing. I realize that it costs to produce a mag or a website. My point was that the AHRA/IAHA merger didn't really help anything for the breeder or competitor in the distance riding world. It was touted to the members as a way to make the registry more cost effective and efficient for the members, but we are being charged for things we didn't have to pay for in the AHRA. The IAHA was basically a registry for the part breds and a vehicle for the show crowd to garner points and awards. The merger pushed that to the forefront. IMHO.

The AHA has asked for the membership's input on the
incentive and recognition plans and has made an effort
to change things. Did you voice your opinon regarding
the changes? If not, how do you expect them to change?

Yes, I'm good friends with a regional rep and we have discussed this ad nauseum. Many AERC members have written to Myron Krause and other top dogs at AHA. I'm not going to belabor this issue with you Nat. Unfortunately, AHA is the only game in town if you are an Arab breeder, so we'll go along.

I think my concerns aren't unique or unusual among the endurance crowd.

Yes, incentive and recognition programs cost money -
if they didn't there wouldn't be any money or awards
for the members participating. Again simple economics.
Of course no one is forcing anyone to participate -
but, that doesn't mean no one will.

duh. And there is a point of diminishing returns that anyone who has been in business knows about. I'm not an idiot. I've worked in  management in the corporate world. I kind of understand the economics of business. I also have worked and still work in not for profits and understand what they need to do to keep afloat and provide services for their members.