[RC] Spooking - WRSINOSKY

Spooking.  Now that's one of Doimas' favorite things.  One of his particular favorites are birds flying out of trees.  Actually, they don't even have to fly, just kinda rustle around in them and he's slamming on the brakes and leaping sideways or doing the famous Arab 180.  And he's only half arab.  But Doimas is not afraid of anything, which is why this is such a particularly enjoyable sport for him.

There are some days when we ride out that he's just looking for something to spook at. A few weeks ago, he was in the mood to spin and leap at every offending shadow or rustle.  Then we're going across a large flat area with just mesquite and ironwood bushes (although the bushes can sometimes be 7 foot high).  He was finally doing his job and really hooking it at an extended trot.  As we burst through a stand of mesquite about 40 vultures took off from a cow caracass all at once.  They made this huge whoosh whoosh sound as 80 wings flapped and this black thing rose from the desert.  In that brief moment I thought,"Oh No!  Here it comes."  And tried to prepare myself for one of his magnificent spooks.  Doimas slowed to a halt, slobbered on his bit and just watched the huge black cloud rise over us, then yawned and dropped his head to eat.

Too his credit, I have to admit he does not spook on LD's.  I think it has to do with he knows there are horses up ahead somewhere and is too intent on catching them to bother with minor annoyances along the trail.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ