From: Dean Meier
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:39 AM
To: dean@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Sweepstakes. Commission (E-mail)
Subject: Sweepstakes question
Hello Mr. Conti- Details are still being finalized on the new sweepstakes
program that will now be paying dollars for points in local AERC completions
for the first time.
? Participation by AHA members competing on registered sweepstakes nominated
horses has stagnated the last several years at a very low level. Competitors
told us that they did not participate in those rides because of the cost and
distance factors. It is hoped that by paying at the local AERC level, more
people will be able to participate and? get a financial return from their
Sweepstakes horse.
? In addition, AHA is working with the AERC to try and develop a program
that will have more appeal to AHA members riding registered Arabian
Sweepstakes horses.
? As with the past program, each individual member will need to evaluate
their particular situation based on their interests and the completions they
hope to participate in. The details of the new program will be published in
December, the deadline to enter your horse has been extended to March 1st,
hopefully this will give each member ample opportunity to make the best
decision possible.
?When the details are published, please feel free to contact me with any
questions or concerns you may have.
? Sincerely, Dean Meier, Chair
------------------------------
Mr. Meier,
Based on the financial information that shows the extent of negative cash
flow in the sweepstakes program over the past years I thoroughly understand
the necessity of making changes. I am glad to see that the AHA is working
with the AERC, which makes a lot of sense considering the high percentage of
Arabians that are being used in this growing sport.
With what you are telling me there seems to be some incorrect information
being bantered around on the AERC email group. With your permission I would
like to forward your letter to the group so they can have a more accurate
idea of what is happening.
Dean
---------------------------
Please do- I would appreciate that- we did look at this very seriously, and
no doubt some folks are taking a serious hit.
?There is a lot of misunderstanding out there as well- and we want to make
sure our t's are crossed and i's are dotted before we release the final
details.
Sincerely, Dean Meier
----------------------------
Mr. Meier enthusiastically supported having this information passed along.
So it appears the AHA Sweepstakes Program may become more AERC ?friendly? in
the future. Perhaps it would be in our collective self interest to add our
voice and support to the AHA to let them know we are out here and care
(email to Sweepstakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). It appears to be somewhat late in
their change process but it can?t hurt our position to add positive
suggestions.

Dean
AERC 33370

PS: Thank you for all the helpful ACL information. The bottom line is while
all my 790 endurance miles were completed without an ACL, the risk of
continuing with a compromised system is just too high. A top Sports Med doc
here in Seattle will be wielding the knife and I feel more secure in my
decision. Perhaps I should take up wheel chair racing in the interim?