Re: [RC] Flagstaff Arab needs retirement - Bette Lamore

Yes by all means take him out of that environment.  I hope this post isn't
redundant-- I've been gone for a few days.  Jeff Wonnell gave me a good
training tip for a mare who was foal proud and aggressive about it and it was
long past the initial first few days. He said to cut off the auto waterer and
only give her a pail at a time and hand carry it in (being careful not to
threaten) and then remove it when she has stopped drinking. He emphasized to
wait long enough for her to get thirsty-- not so much though that her milk
production suffers-- but then the milk comes first so she will get sunken in a
little before the production suffers I was told. Do the same with the food--
Let her get hungry then bring it in a little at a time and take out what she
doesn't eat right away. I did more frequent feedings yet less. The object is of
course for her to realize how dependent she is on you and that you are keeping
her alive-- a GOOD thing (as Martha would say). If she showed any sig
n of aggression, I was to walk away and try again later.
It worked like a charm. Within a few days she was happy to see me and not
aggressive at all towards me. Then the fun petting etc began and eventually she
let me work with the baby as well.
Just an idea given to me by a very smart man who was still training horses in
his 80's :-)
Hope it helps!
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Susan & Jerry Milam wrote:
Sounds like he definetely needs a change of scenery. Guess you need to
decide what kind of bond you two have to determibne if you want to go
through his recovery with him or not. As long as he is at that barn he will
be a problem. He can't "relax".  JMHO

Susan