[RC] Nourishment - Drinking - Aaron Turnage

Everyone on this list knows the importance of staying hydrated while riding, both for the rider and the horse.  I just want to point out that for me, and I know some other people as well, Gatorade makes me feel very sick to my stomach.  I tried drinking it straight and mixed with water, even a 70/30 water/Gatorade mixture.  Although it does not bother me on shorter training rides, or any other time, it was making me sick during events, especially if it was hot out.  I'm not able to drink enough plain water to keep myself well hydrated either, I know I just don't drink as much.  One ride I ended up buying Powerade at the store instead of Gatorade since it was on sale.  I was not sick!  I didn't realize it was the Gatorade up until that point but now I only drink Powerade or Cytomax (their label reads the exact same) on endurance rides.  I still typically do a 50/50 mix with water, or carry on stronger bottle with Powerade and the other straight water.  Powerade has a great citrus flavor that is not very strong, it's kind of white in color but I can't remember the exact brand name for it, Artic Freeze or something???

I have also been able to use Propel (Gatorade "water") with no problems on longer and hotter training rides.  Haven't tried it on a 50 though.

So if you're not feeling well, often quesy, etc.  You might try changing what you're drinking.  I had a couple Rider Option Pulls due to me being to sick to continue until I made this change.

~ Crysta