From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:54 PM
Subject: [RC] tom and impressive records

Please Reply to: wendy lumbert wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Still thinking about tom ivers and all his innovative ideas and
vast knowledge of facts and scientific studies, when I realized that there
are a ton of newbies that don't know some impressive facts from the past.
Tom and I had many discussions about nutrition and loaders and conditioning,
and how there was no substitute for putting the training miles on your
horse. I'd like to offer a statistic as proof that you can get astonishing
performance from an endurance horse with proper conditioning.
Dolly DeCair (the same Dolly who just got hurt recently) never did use
anything fancy, as she liked to say. Just trained her horses hard and fast
and they got grain and mash, cleaned up and smooched a bunch. In 1988 she
rode her stallion Wazir's Karahty on two 100 mile races, one 75 miler, and
two 50s in
SEVEN WEEKS. He won all 5 races and got BC on three.   That was
a long time ago but I never see anyone ride like that anymore.
Anyone have any ideas why we have so much more to offer our horses now but
some ran faster and harder 18 years ago?
Just curious.   wendy lumbert