Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] novice class, LD taken seriously etc.

First off:  Should AERC lump all distances into the Endurance category???

NO.  Reason being, that IMO....this takes away from or lessens what the people out there doing the longer distances are doing with their horses.  A good rider can go out and take a horse of any breed with little to no condition and "get him thru an LD ride".  No, he won't be up in the front, but does that make him an "endurance" horse?  Does it make him a great athlete?  No, it makes him a horse that with some legging up and a sensible rider that can finish that shorter distance. I see this all the time at the local horse trails... trail riders out there riding 25 miles of technical tr! ails on their pleasure horses. And when they see us conditioning, they "think" that we aren't doing anything that their horses couldn't do.  The truth is...we are doing something that they can't do.  They couldn't take their horses (at the current conditioning) and do a 50 or better mile ride.  So, if lumping it all together makes everyone have a "happy face"...it won't be anything to brag about IMO.