RE: [RC] novice class, LD taken seriously etc. - heidi

The problem with this is that AERC does not consider LD as legit. rides.

The points are different, the miles do not get included as "regular" miles,
the times are not even included in EN in ride results,etc.

I like words that have precise meanings.  AERC most certainly DOES
consider LD rides to be "legitimate rides"--if we did not, we would not
be offering LD national and regional mileage championships, etc.  What
AERC does NOT do is to consider them to be "endurance rides."
"Legitimate" and "endurance" are not synonymous.  AERC has gone to the
trouble of making a whole separate division, if you will, for rides
that are shorter than endurance rides, and does quite a lot to promote
and recognize the accomplishments of riders who ride shorter distances.
I agree that times should be printed in the EN--and from others have
posted here, that has already been agreed upon.  Times are already
available (and have been for a long time) for LD rides on the AERC data
site.

In the Sept EN Dr Melissa Ribley writes that she would prefer no placings or
BC in the LD.  This is a shame to me.

Yes, I agree.  All but one or two regions offer LD BCs and placings on
LDs.  I've judged more LD BCs than I can shake a stick at, and other
than Melissa and a few other vets in her region, I've never heard a vet
complain about doing it, nor have I ever complained about doing it.
I've always felt that LD BC was a great opportunity to help to educate
riders, never mind to recognize their accomplishments.  I think you
will find that much of the country agrees that LD BC should be offered
routinely, and I suggest that you post to each of your regional reps as
well as to the directors-at-large and tell them that you support LD BC.

I admire people who realize their horse is unable to safely complete longer
distances. That does not mean the horses are not as athletic, their nitch is
in shorter distances.

I admire them too.  My junior rider this year was one of them.  But
again, I like clear meanings--If the horse cannot "safely" complete
longer distances, then he lacks the athletic ability to do so.  Your
two sentences contradict each other.  However, that does not take away
from the wisdom of riders who realize that.  Nor does it take away from
the people who (myself included sometimes) are not themselves physically
up to doing longer distances, but who nonetheless come out and do what
they CAN do.  And that is why we HAVE LD, and why there is mileage
tracking for LD, and why there are mileage awards available for LD.

Maybe a 25 mile ride is NOT an endurance ride in a lot of people's minds, but
it still takes strategy, excellent horse care, and an athletic animal to
compete ride after ride in LD.

Sure it does.  But isn't just "in people's minds" that LD is not
endurance--it is not endurance by the definition of the sport.  And
that is ok.  It is still there, we can do it, and our accomplishments
are recognized, even if we or our horses are not able to go further.  I
dabble some with dressage (not too seriously) and when one of our horses
goes and does a training level test, I don't expect anyone to call it a
Grand Prix.  Or anything else--just a training level test.  There is no
shame in that--it represents a lot more work and accomplishment than not
doing it.  I've never heard anyone in any other sport wanting credit for
something they have not achieved.  The high school football team is
thrilled to go to district and state games in their division.  They
don't expect an NFL division trophy or a Super Bowl ring when they win.
I've never heard our local dirt track drivers upset because they don't
earn NASCAR points.  I'm sure glad that we have LD rides, and I ride
them--but I sure don't expect anyone to call them endurance rides.  I
ride those too, and it is a whole different level of accomplishment.

Heidi