[RC] novice class, LD taken seriously etc. - Sherman

The problem with this is that AERC does not consider LD as legit. rides.

The points are different, the miles do not get included as "regular" miles, the times are not even included in EN in ride results,etc.

In the Sept EN Dr Melissa Ribley writes that she would prefer no placings or BC in the LD.  This is a shame to me.

I admire people who realize their horse is unable to safely complete longer distances. That does not mean the horses are not as athletic, their nitch is in shorter distances.

Maybe a 25 mile ride is NOT an endurance ride in a lot of people's minds, but it still takes strategy, excellent horse care, and an athletic animal to compete ride after ride in LD.

The opening statement in the above post is missing one word.....endurance.  The AERC does not consider LD rides as legit "endurance" rides......because they're not, they are however legit LD rides.

I agree with most of the other statements (with the exception of the remark about Ribley's statement), however, it still does not make the LD rides endurance rides and since AERC is an organization that gives recognition to endurance horses and riders, perhaps what is really needed to give the LD riders the recognition that some want, is a new, separate organization, not associated with AERC, that would award LD riders & horses as that organization sees fit. Sort of like when the different breed associations have their rides in conjunction with AERC rides, but their awards are for their breeds only.

I am not being facetious. I have LD friends and I think my husband may even be talked into doing an LD. He (hubby)  did 21 miles yesterday!  And I also realize that someday, I may not be able to or may not want to do 50s anymore.

What do you think? Any dedicated LD riders out there with the time & inclination to persue this?

Happy trails (of whatever length you like)!

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA