RE: [RC] novice class, LD taken seriously, stats for you - heidi

I've been trying really hard to stay out of this discussion, but....

Please Reply to: Stacy Motschenbacher msmots13@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, here are some statistics for those of you that think LD riders are novice
riders riding unconditioned horses.  I picked two rides, one in the east, the
other in the west.  Both rides had over 20 participants in them.  This is
what I found.

  The ride in the East had 23 riders start, of these 4 were first time
riders.  I averaged the amount of rides done by the other 19 riders and it
totalled 46 rides!

  The ride in the west had 23 starters, of these 2 were first time riders.
The remaining 21 riders averaged 30 rides.

Most of these people are not novice riders.

Stacy, I don't know of ANYONE who "thinks" that most LD riders are
novice riders on unconditioned horses.  We all KNOW that there are many
people who do their homework, and also many who choose to do LD for
reasons other than being novices.

That said, what Jody said was all too true--one CAN take an
unconditioned horse and go complete 25 miles.  Did anyone say this was
a good idea?  No.  Did anyone say that it is the norm?  No.  But has it
been done?  Yes, and more than once.  There is a degree of difficulty
that one has to surmount to do longer distances that simply is not
there on LD rides.  If there wasn't, we would all ride 100s.  The very
fact that many people DO ride LD instead of endurance because they
don't have time to sufficiently condition, or because they have
physical infirmities, or because of a whole host of other perfectly
legitimate reasons, underscores the fact that it is less difficult.
Heck, I sponsored a junior rider this year who was riding a 25-year-old
mare--after two LDs, she did one 50 and decided that it was a stretch
for the mare, given her age.  Good choice!  So she rode LD all the rest
of the year, and my husband and I proudly sponsored her, happy to forego
"endurance" to help this junior have a good season.  (She is the top
junior in the NW in the AERC LD regional milage awards, BTW--something
we only recently found out.  But what a thrill for her!)

What she did this year certainly isn't just chopped liver.  She worked
hard and she achieved some very definite goals.  But endurance is a
stretch for her older mare--if it were not more difficult than riding
LDs, this would not have been the case.

Acknowledging that one thing is more challenging than another is not
suggesting that the other is not an accomplishment.  It is.  And it is
taken seriously.  Not a single solitary soul put me down when I came
back to the sport after a long hiatus and started in riding LDs.  Not a
single solitary soul dissed our junior rider this year, nor did anyone
diss us for sponsoring her.  LD IS taken seriously.  It is a wonderful
opportunity to take part in the sport when there are reasons why one
can't or doesn't want to do longer distance.  But there is a definite
"hump" to cross between LD and rides 50 and up.  If there weren't,
there would be no reason to ride LD.

However, you have to admit that it is usually much easier to top 10 in a 100
mile ride than it is in a 50 or 25.  (Where both are offered).

No, it isn't--because first you have to ride 100 miles to do it.  Don't
confuse numbers with degree of difficulty.  There may be a lot more
riders on the LD and on the 50, so that if you enter a shorter
distance, you have to be further up in the pack to Top Ten.  But it is
still more difficult to ride a 100 at all, even if your odds of being
in the Top Ten are higher if you finish.  There are many people who
enter 100s with only 10 entries or less who don't Top Ten because they
don't complete.  It is definitely "harder" to Top Ten a 100 than it is
to Top Ten a 25.  I've done both, and can vouch for it!

I wouldn't care if the 100 milers received cooler awards, I just hate to see
no placings and no BC given to LD.

A great many of us agree about that, Stacy.  It is really a shame when
LD riders are NOT recognized for their accomplishments.  Fortunately,
in most of the regions, they are.  I fully agree that discussion of how
to have them recognized in those places where they are not recognized is
important and valuable.  (And before Maryben jumps on me for dissing
Melissa, let me say that I have the utmost respect for Melissa and
really appreciate her efforts as chair of the veterinary committee.
She's very capable and she is doing a good job.  I just happen to
disagree with her about LD BC.)

All accomplishment should be recognized.  But the way to achieve this is
not by trying to pretend like all accomplishments are the same.

Heidi