Re: [RC] Acorns - rides2far

 But what> I want to know is did you ever figure out what was
wrong with him?  From the posts it doesn't seem
like acorn poisoning would cause these symptoms unless
the symptoms were a reflection of abdominal discomfort.

The fact that he acted so much better after the banamine made me feel it
might have been abdominal discomfort. The draggy way he was moping around
just looked like he felt bad...not that his hindquarters was tightening
up or anything. The fact that he'd start down the steep hill and stop 1/2
way with his front in downhill and stand around for awhile made me think
he wasn't feeling any onset of founder or he wouldn't want to load up his
front end.

Right now he is bright eyed and really tearing into his grain and hay. He
acts 100% normal in the stall, but I was pretty surprised how clean the
stall was. I would expect to have to shovel up a muck bucket full after
24 hrs and though it *was* pretty dark in there, I didn't see much manure
at all. He drank about 1/2 a 5 gal. bucket of water today. I'm just going
to leave him up tonight, check the manure output and get him out and move
him around some tomorrow.

He's been in the same field for 12 years. He's always eaten acorns but
this does seem to be a big year and I've got fewer horses than usual so
he may have access to more. This may be a longshot, but I just don't see
any other available culprit.

And as to why I haven't called a vet. The only vet who covers my area is
worse than useless. Believe me, if things looked bad I'd have him in the
trailer and on the way to the good vet an hour away, but I'd feel silly
to take him looking as good as he does right now. I'm watching him close
though.

Angie