Re: [RC] re: warning Beet pulp sticky? - Lady Monalaina

I have to say that I laughed about the flax seed as I also merely soak it with the beet pulp. My horses always seem to have it stuck to the outside of their bodies which in turn becomes a joke that the seeds are popping out of their skin whole.

I will say that our big white gelding has had beet pulp stuck in his throat which the vet had to help dislodge. We think that either the beet pulp hadn't soaked long enough or it could have been because he had just had a horrific night and was showing signs of seizures all morning (happened after July 4th and horse hates anything explosive sounding), nonetheless, we do still feed it to all of our horses and just make sure to make Solerro's is extra soupy so he doesn't do it again. J

Zephyr Arabians <z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- Ridecamp Guest
wrote:
> I've been thinking about this warning and the
> "thinks the beet pulp stuck, like peanut butter"
> statement --I have not known beet pulp to seem
> particularly sticky,

This has been bothering me, too. My experience with
beet pulp -- and I feed lots of it, every day -- is
that it's not sticky at all. Wet alfalfa, for
instance, seems a lot stickier than soaked beet pulp.
Soaked flax seeds, now *those* are sticky. I don't
ground my flax seeds (too lazy), so I just soak them
with the beet pulp. Unlike the beet pulp, the wet
flax seeds are very sticky -- they stick to
everything; the horses walk around with flax seeds
stuck to their faces and I've got them all over the
clothes I wear to feed. But, soaked beet pulp? Not
remotely sticky, in my experience.

Now, I'm not saying that something drastic didn't
happen to this woman's horse. And it's certainly her
perogative to avoid beet pulp. But, my own
experiences with it don't match the description given
as "sticky like peanut butter" even remotely.

FWIW, every time I see this thread title I think of
Susan's famous "beet pulp warning." :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com